This is a soup that I love to make on the weekend, so that I can enjoy it for lunch throughout the week. It’s a hearty and delicious soup that’s also an excellent source of protein and fiber. Win-win!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound navy beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Garnish with ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown the turkey with the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper until the turkey is cooked through and the onions are translucent (about 7 minutes).
- In a Slow Cooker, combine the turkey and onions with all other ingredients.
- Cook for 4-6 hours.
- Remove from heat and garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
(Note: Recipe adapted from Rachel Cooks)